Monday, October 13, 2008

The Last Song Syndrome 1: Heroes (David Bowie), Monday, September 8, 2008

"Though nothing
Will keep us together
We could steal time
Just for one day
We can be heroes
For ever and ever
What d'you say?"

- David Bowie, "Heroes"
I have a recurring preoccupation on heroes, heroics, and heroism of late.

It did not help that one morning, as I was wandering in a lovely place called Astral Dreams located in a virtual island, I heard this tragic love song playing in the background.

David Bowie's song "Heroes" has been remade many times over, and one of the covers is that of The Wallflowers, which was used in the remake of the movie "Godzilla". The story behind the lyrics of this song has been told in a good number of texts and forums, such as this.

And so I left the world with this tune playing in my head many times over throughout the day....

I think about all the people wanting to be kings and queens in their own kingdoms in spite of resistance coming from all fronts, and I wonder how it is like for lovers to kiss "standing by the wall" while "the guns shot above our heads". It seems many would like to be in precarious situations and eventually be heroes for the sake of romance....

Are you one of them?

No comments: