Friday, June 11, 2010

The Blog Rounds v.2. Start Of School edition: What I Learned From Nursery School

Hello once again. This is what I was talking about in my previous post. Jaaraf, my colleague in The Blog Rounds, called for articles, the theme for which is early childhood learning. A few days ago I wrote a little about my nursery school as a prologue to my own submission.

i learned a great deal in nursery school, and of course I am saying this in retrospect. My time in nursery school is replete with memories that never fail to make me smile until now, in spite of my pragmatism that I acquired later in life.

One of the activities that I got involved with that time was a little play, an adaptation of the fairy tale, "Hansel and Gretel". I am not too sure how I got a role in the play (Maybe my mother rigged it? Hahaha!). I am quite uncertain how I memorized my lines (I swear I have a bad memory when the mood hits me, and I know that as a child I was really moody.) Most of all, I do not know how I survived performing in that play, for I was, and still am, petrified of the audience, and not too many of my acquaintances would want to believe this.

But I did pick up some lessons out of my brief foray in acting (duh). Again I say this in retrospect. This may probably read as a list of tips to a novice actor, but the "tips" do seem to apply also in real life.

1. When one speaks audibly, he has a good chance of getting a role in a play. (One will not stand a chance if he has the voice of an ant.)

2. One must not take it personally when he is not given the role that he wants. (It is the same thing in real life. There has to be a "bida" and "kontrabida". There can never be no "kontrabida", or two "bidas" in a single instance.)

3. To play the role of kids like Hansel and Gretel, one just have to act out his age.

4. To play the role of a nasty stepmother, one has got to have a nasty streak.

5. To play the role of a weakling father is the easiest: one only needs to know how to scratch his head.

6. To play the role of a wicked witch, one need not be a female: it only takes a shrill laughter to cinch it.

7. An actor will be remembered not so much by his role but by the manner by which he executed his character.

8. One must not forget to smile, take a bow, and say "Thank you" to the audience after the performance.

William Shakespeare put it all too poetically centuries ago. "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages." I may be a million times less creative, but I guess life's lessons are almost always universal.

Lastly, can you guess the character assigned to me in the play? *smile*

*****This is my submission to The Blog Rounds v.2 titled "All I needed To Know, I Learned In Kindergarten (or Nursery, or Pre-School) hosted by Jaaraf.*****

7 comments:

J.A. said...

Gigi, you look so cute and innocent! :)

I was also in Hansel and Gretel but that was in 2nd grade--I was one of the walls of the candy house. :)
I ended up consuming a large part of my costume (different flavored hard candies pinned all over my white shorts and T-shirt).
Even the main characters envied my role. :)

gigi said...

walls? now that is cute. :) pity that we did not have wall actors. kiddie plays are really fun

J.A. said...

TBR round-up in this link:
@http://jaaraf.blogspot.com/2010/06/tbr-v2-round-up-all-i-needed-to-know-i.html

Eloisa said...

wicked witch? :-p jk! :-)

Fun acting tips, haha. I was a moody kid sometimes too...but i was always the narrator, never the witch. nor the princess. boohoo... :-p

gigi said...

lol sonia, i am not the wicked witch ... as you can see, i am female^^ (please refer to acting tip #6)

i never got to be the princess too. ok lang. princess characters hardly had character anyway, hahahah! kidding kidding.

Bonedoc said...

Fat chance..I flunked advice#1 squarely. I don't speak often and I hate plays before.

Only to realize, we are all actors and actresses in this world...

Great post Gigi...

The Last Song Syndrome said...

thanks bone...welcome back :)