Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Last Song Syndrome 7: It Must Be Love (Madness), for Luis

"How can it be that we can
Say so much without words?
Bless you and bless me
Bless the bees
And the birds."

-
Madness, "It Must Be Love"
A few weeks ago, we organised a party commemorating the second death anniversary of a good friend named Luis. Luis passed away last January 2007 in a vehicular accident, and suffice to say, this very amiable man is sorely missed by many friends and admirers of his talent up until now.

At one point in The GoSignals' set, Luis' friend (and wife to the band's bassist) went up the stage and narrated an anecdote. Luis, she said, would sing to her this one particular song he liked whenever they were aboard a jeepney. Familiar chords started to ring in the air, and a voice sang this very familiar line.

"I never thought I'd miss you
Half as much as I do..."

There were no tears, just happy memories, mostly of Luis'. I suppose, even for those who do not know Luis that much, this song evokes imagery that is just as sweet. Anyway, you can also look at the video and find out what I mean by "sweet".



Seriously now. Suggs and the rest of the lads are adorable, just like this song, which resurfaces in my consciousness as I remember Luis. As for the rest of you, enjoy, and whether you call this romantic or not, I hope you guys have a great V-week.

No comments: