Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Remembering Joe Strummer On His 7th Death Anniversary

Seven years have passed and I personally still have not gotten over the fact that Joe Strummer, the highly politically-charged frontman of The Clash and later on of The Mescaleros, is no longer of this world.

And why is that? Roughly three decades down the line and Strummer continues to inspire and touch generations of musicians, as well as artists and thinkers. I was introduced to The Clash through the local radio show Capital Radio (which is, incidentally, a song by The Clash) aired over at the now-defunct XB 102. The legendary Jingle Chordbook magazine likewise exposed me to The Clash alongside the rudimentaries of punk both locally and internationally.

Joe Strummer died last December 22, 2002 secondary to a congenital heart condition, yet another issue that is close to my, well, heart. It is very unusual for me to be affected by the death of someone whom I have never been with nor met physically, but Strummer did have that effect on me. I grew up listening to his music and realizing how he broke barriers of musical definition, which for me is the best thing about him.

Paul Simonon may be the most goodlooking Clash for me, but it is Strummer whom I love more. Love indeed, that I even have to write about him here when I have already written another post at Trash Radio Manila.

Yes, the Trash Radio Manila playlist is also here. The tracklist is as follows:

1. Armagideon Time (The Clash)
2. Joe Strummer on the political nature of The Clash as lifted from Rockers Galore album
3. London's Burning (The Clash)
4. Safe European Home (The Clash)
5. Police On My Back (The Clash)
6. Capitol Radio Two (The Clash)
7. Bhindi Bhagee (Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros)
8. Joe Strummer ("Without people, we're nothing), lifted from The Future Is Unwritten
9. The Sound Of The Sinners (The Clash)
10. Train In Vain (The Clash)
11. The Road To Rock 'n' Roll (Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros)
12. Redemption Song (Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros)

That is it, my little post on the "other" man that I profoundly love. Merry Christmas to one and all. Be safe and happy.

[A related post also appears at Trash Radio Manila.]

No comments: